Monday, April 26, 2010

Graduation Ceremonies: True Allegiance

It's been almost one year since I graduated from the University of Utah with my Master's Degree.  My family was able to attend that graduation and my sister, Sherrie, brought her 3 kids.  They knew the University of Utah likes the color red, so they all dressed themselves and wore red to my graduation (see Cory in the picture next to me). Canyon is very observant and always wants to do the right thing.  He knows (according to his dad) that he's supposed to be cheering for BYU, but I think he might be a little confused how this whole thing school loyalty thing works.   


Last week, Megan Renae Fernquist (soon-to-be Fisher) graduated from BYU.  Sherrie (my sister), who is a BYU alum (along with her husband, three brothers {if you count BYU-I and one who's 1 year from graduating from BYU}, two sisters, two sisters-in-law {again, counting BYU-I}, dad, and who knows who many Batty's), went to support Megan at her graduation.  She took her kids.  These are the same kids who have joined their dad in mocking my choice of choosing red over blue, Utah over BYU.  These are the same kids who during the Holy War, will call and trash talk me.  These are the same ones who chat "Go Cougars".   These are the same ones who proudly wear their BYU Cougar sweatshirt from Aunt Kelly.  

Well.... I found out wear their true allegiance lies...

Please refer to the following email, received April 23, 2010 at 1:58 pm...
Christi,


We are at Megan graduation ceremony... The kids dressed themselves. On the way here Canyon mentioned that all wore red because everyone wears red at graduations. Oops, wrong color this time.    ~ Sherrie


Go UTES!!!

2 comments:

Russell Fisher said...

BYU-I is not the same as BYU. Just Like UCLA and Berkeley are not the same school. They just happen to be both University of California. I leave it for you to decide which one is UCLA and which one is Cal (Berkeley) in this case.

L.J. said...

I hear you may be going through another graduation ceremony, sometime down the road. Congratulations!