Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Who can find a virtuous woman?



Today was an incredible day. Today was the day when we had the honor to pay tribute to my dear grandmother (Realla Jane Johnson Fisher). My grandmother is an incredible woman and lived a great and fulfilling life. She was born on February 25, 1925 and passed away at home with my grandfather close by on April 27, 2008. This passing is a chance for her to continue to serve and to do the things that are particularly important to her.

Eight years ago, my grandmother had a stroke that left her unable to care for herself. I was almost 6 years old when my parents decided to move back to Idaho and live next door to my grandparents. I grew up living next door until I was almost 19 and went to college. During that time I learn many, many things from both my grandpa and grandma.

Today, during her funeral, it was addressed, what was she supposed to learn from these years following her stroke. It was addressed, it wasn't her that was supposed to learn but us that needed to learn.

So, what did I learn from her...?

1. I learned how to work. Growing up, there was no escaping the "opportunity" to weed the garden, mow the lawn, wash windows, clean the garage, vacuum the house, etc., etc. However, this lessons were always taught and with the work came the reward. I grew to love Popsicles as a reward from working hard.

2. I learned to love the gospel. Grandma was faithful in her callings and in chance to serve. She was faithful in teaching us gospel principles and wanted her family to really know and love the teachings of the gospel. She was an example in the way she lived her life so faithfully.

3. The importance of temples. As a child, I remember that grandma and grandpa always had to be home early on Monday because they had to be at the temple at 4 in the morning (maybe up at that but either way it seemed really early) on Tuesdays. Wednesdays that had a later shift that they did. This did this temple for faithfully for as long as I can remember. The served a mission as a couple in the Denver Temple Mission, which was so appropriate to what they were currently doing, only this time it was in a different state. They loved the temple and loved going to the temple.

4. The great blessing of a righteous marriage. I have always had a great love and sincerely enjoy watching elderly couples walking down the street holding hands. I realize now that this might have come from the love that grandma and grandpa have for each other. They were married for 60 years and still so much in love. My grandma adored my grandpa and likewise. They were so respectful of one another and would always put each other first. I have never heard the utter the slightest of negative comment towards the other. They taught me that marriage can be amazing and what true love really is.

This are just a FEW of the things that I have learned from my grandmother during my life. My grandma is amazing and I know that now she has taken the opportunity to serve and continue to spread the gospel. This day of her funeral and with my family has given me a chance to step back and re-evaluate what I'm doing in my life and how I can do better. There are blessings that are awaiting me. I love my grandmother and can't wait to see her again.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Hi Kristi,

I'm sorry to here about your grandma. It's never easy to part with someone we love and the loss is felt acutely and yet I know that you are feeling happy for her to be able to move on from this life. I wish you, your family and Grandpa Fisher all the best.

love,
Sara

Marissa Marie said...

What a beautiful post! I love reading blogs, and I love seeing a little bit of your heart and spirit as you write about the things that matter to you. I hope life is treating you wonderfully well!

Deb in Denver said...

Hi Christi.
You don't know me or my dad. But your grandpa knows my dad. My Dad called me from his home in Houston, (I live in Denver) and said one of his friends from the Air National Guard was on TV. He said "Honey, it's Bernie! He won the Metal of Honor!" I had no clue who he was talking about. But dad knew I would be interested because I have the honor of being a nurse at the Veterans Hospital in Denver, Colorado. Dad went on to tell me what memories he had of your grandpa. So, I thought I would look your grandpa up on line. I found lots of articles about your grandpa and saw how either your uncle or dad flys the refulers. Which is exactly what my dad did after he and your grandpa finished with the F-86's. The other amazing thing is that my dad and your grandpa both just reciently lost the love of their life. Today is the one year anniversary of my mothers passing. I saw you lost your grandma this past April. Actually the day after my birthday... I'm so sorry for your loss. Dad took care of mom for 3 long and very difficult years. Mom died from a rare type of ovarian cancer. My dad was an exceptional jet aircraft mechanic, but he was even a better nurse. Mom passed gently, surrounded by dad and us kids, at home too. Your grandpa and my dad still have a lot in common. They are both heros. To first and formost our family, and then to the world. Will you please let your grandpa know that Bob Underwood from the F-86 air fighter squadron that was based at O'Hare Field in Chicago says hello. Dad sends is deepest heartfelt condolences. He knows what your grandpa is going through too. If you wish, you can write to me at work. And if you or any of your family want to talk, or if your grandpa wants to get in touch with my dad. My e-mail is Debra.DeMay@va.gov Christi, I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandma. She sounded absolutely amazing and I know, you miss her very, very much.

Deb Underwood DeMay RN, CPUR